Saturday, January 21, 2012

Varnas in I T



Prenote:

If you belong to the famed IT world, then read under your own risk. The author is not responsible if your secrets are revealed ( J) or even if your feelings are hurt.  The author also means no offense to anyone.

I was conscious of my breathing. Many thoughts inched forward and lunged out of my mind in rhythm with the brief gushes of air that followed a similar pattern into my lungs. A day full of test case execution at work had taken the life out of my eyes and drained me off the will to take in more hours of the day( or should i call it night?). To smear salt on my wounded appearance, the BMTC bus had arrived just then at shivajinagar bus stop. The crowd waiting at the stop moved in sudden jolts of happiness like how the desert nomads would feel when rains fell on land. The bus took in me also like the tolerant mother earth and gave in it a small place for me to stand and imitate the leaning tower of Pisa , also   promising me one more hour of push and pull in the stench of the  body sweat of the  crowd.

I took off my bag and clasped it in my hand  close to my body , very consciously lest the thieves empty my bag off my laptop or money for i feared that the compensation that i had to pay for that would be years of blame and mental torture at home, leave the money aside . As i stood there, holding the supporting bar at the top , i began my daily ritual. The ritual of reflecting on the day’s events at office and to give myself a faint assurance that i am somehow working towards my goal in life. But there are a few things that happen in life,which have the potential to deflect your goals and leave you thinking to no end. And those are the ones that just HAPPEN  to you and you can’t do anything about it but accept  and go home like a miserable loser. Am i the only one who sometimes feels as such ? that  i don’t know. I won’t also know until, some gentleman or lady has the patience to read my post and reply from his/her heart. An intangible commodity called ‘’Experience” had been buzzing around my ear ,along with the mosquito that had entered into the dark and damp bus.

Ok something called EXPERIENCE happens to be the line of demarcation that divides humankind in the professional world though we are all made of the same flesh and bones. And ever since i got the notion that experience can do me good, i have sought after it like the greedy king who changed everything he touched into gold. It reminds me of the history lesson, that in ancient India , society was divided into four  classes – the shudras, the vaishyas, the Brahmins and the Kshatriyas. I am not sure how i should treat the experienced ones at office, but most often i have seen the newbies ( shudras ofcourse by the way we are treated)  staring at the most “experienced” people( Vaishyas, Brahmins and the kshatriyas) with even more greater an appreciation and awe which could  supersede the admiration shown to Alexander, The Great at his time when he conquered the world.

Well, People might have decades of years of experience in their job industry . But it is more often that they try to show off in front of the less experienced ones as though they have been working for charity and the common good of the society while they have actually worked  for the sustenance of their family or to make a living for the self.  To mark ourselves a civilized society, we need to shun the false pride of experience at workplace and help each other humbly carry out our roles and responsibilities and treat each other equally. Humans are perennial attention seekers and when they feel happy about the way  they are treated, they tend to work more and seek more attention. That is precisely healthy competition . Ain’t it?
''Experience is the name that men give to their mistakes" ( A smart definition from someone’s dictionary)

Having said so, the ego inside me feels satisfied. I came home and had ice creams and plum cake. My stomach was satisfied tooJ

1 comment: